Osteoben® - 120 Vegetarian Capsules
Osteoben® is a vitamin and mineral blend formulated to support bone strength and health.* It provides nutrients and other compounds necessary for the physical structure and proper maintenance of bone tissue, including the minerals calcium, magnesium, and zinc, along with vitamins D and K2.* Osteoben® also features the phytoestrogen genistein from the Japanese sophora extract, a non-soy plant source.
The nutrients delivered in Osteoben® are available naturally in food (or can be synthesized with the help of sunlight, as with vitamin D), but many people do not consume adequate amounts of these nutrients and may need supplementation to reach optimal levels, especially if they are already experiencing a natural decline in bone health. Additionally, certain pharmaceutical drugs and medical conditions may increase the need for these nutrients above that which would typically be obtained from diet alone.
- Calcium & Magnesium: When people think of bones, calcium is the mineral that comes to mind first, and for good reason: 99% of the body’s calcium is found in the skeleton. However, bones are made of far more than just calcium. They are also abundant in magnesium—bones house approximately 60% of the body’s magnesium.
- Vitamins D & K and Zinc: These nutrients are not part of the physical structure of bones but they’re required for critical processes that help regulate calcium balance and bone mineralization. When calcium levels in the blood are low, vitamin D stimulates the body to absorb more calcium from food and directs the kidneys to excrete less calcium to help restore proper levels. Vitamin K is often described as a "traffic cop" for calcium; it helps direct calcium to be deposited into the bones and teeth, where it is desirable, and reduce the potential for it to build up in soft tissues, such as blood vessels and joints. Zinc plays an essential role in the structure of many proteins, including vitamin D receptors inside cells.
- Genistein: This is an isoflavone from the Japanese sophora tree. It’s a non-soy phytoestrogen shown to help maintain healthy bone mineral density. The natural decline in estrogen levels after menopause is believed to play a role in the decreased bone mineral density older women experience. Genistein has estrogen-like effects which may have the potential to favorably influence some of the processes the body’s own estrogen participates in, such as bone maintenance.
A Note About Protein:
Apart from the minerals bones contain, bone tissue is made from protein as well. Protein accounts for about >30% of the physical structure of bone, with collagen making up nearly 95% of this protein portion. Many older individuals and those following certain restrictive diets may not be consuming adequate protein to support bone health. Work with your healthcare practitioner to determine the amount of protein that’s right for you and the bestfood or supplement sources to provide this.
Serving Size: 4 Capsules
Servings Per Container: 30
- Vitamin D (As Cholecalciferol) 25mcg (1000 IU) 125%
- Vitamin K (As Vitamin K1 Phytonadione) 100 mcg 83%
- Calcium (As Di-Calcium Malate) 400mg 31%
- Magnesium (As Di-Magnesium Malate) 400mg 95%
- Zinc (As Zinc Bisglycinate Chelate) 8mg 73%
- Genistein (From Japanese Sophora Extract) (Fruit) 54mg *
- Vitamin K2 (as Menaquinone-4) 20 mcg
*Daily Value not established.
Other Ingredients: Cellulose (capsule)‚ microcrystalline cellulose‚ vegetable stearate.
Take 4 capsules per day or as directed by your health-care practitioner.
Consult your health-care practitioner before using this product if you are taking Coumadin, warfarin, or other anticoagulant medications.